Thursday, September 23, 2010

Can't Phase Me

P.H.A.S.E. T.W.O.

It was a beautiful July summer day. I was sitting on the backyard porch, starring at the painting I had started. It was immense. It was daunting. There was only one way to get it done: phases.  If I tried to work the canvas in horizontal sections it would lose uniformity. I was going to build up a massive surface image by painting in color phases. After I would go in and do detail work. 



I colored the distant mountains a watered down mix of copper and deep purple. I filled in the nearer mountain ranges with a watered hooker green, drawing in the forest contours with black and sap green. The rock and land became a dull violet beige. I started adding highlight to the water. And just like that I found my giant project's foundation was complete. Maybe it is not so big afterall.      

No comments:

Post a Comment