Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Make Art Not Fence

I have been a painter all of my life. One of my favorite childhood memories: my parents decided they were going to remodel the kitchen, a wall was going to be knocked out and my mother gave my sister and I permission to draw on the wall before it was destroyed. We drew huge and grotesque nude figures and reveled in the freedom of "tagging" our house. Later we would work on murals together upon bedroom walls; painting ocean scenes and flowers.

Now, my roommate and I need a fence. We are tired of not having any privacy from our neighbors next door. After much debate on materials we decide to stretch a piece of white fabric across the gap. I come to realize I cannot stand the color white. As an artist, if I see something white, I feel it is my obligation to make it interesting. And so, I have begun a 100 ft. painting in our back yard. I have chosen the 14th century Chinese Literati landscape painting technique to inform me on my enormous project.    

"B.C. Montage" 100' x 3' Acrylic on Cotton, Nelson, British Columbia, Canada.

No comments:

Post a Comment